Wednesday, June 30, 2004

good sport

So I watched some of the Wimbledon tennis last night. For perhaps the first time I watched a whole game of ladies singles (love that they still call them "ladies'" and "gentlemen's", how quaint!), and for the first time I wasn't just watching for the skimpy skirts and cute wee gasps they make when hitting the ball. Honest!

Although it was Maria Sharapova playing. Rrraouw... I know, I know - she's built up in the media as the next Anna Kournikova but I think the difference between them is that Sharapova actually has some talent. As well as a neck & shoulders you'd just want to drip maple syrup all over then lick it off...

*ahem*

Anyway. It was a good match - by no means excellent, but the last set was a pretty impressive display of firepower. There were too many unforced errors from Sharapova, despite the fact she is/can be a better player than Sugiyama (who was amazingly quick around the court and much more cool-headed). She's through to the next round so I'm happy. Although she gets to face Lindsay Davenport next, and she's a formidable player.

Other news from abroad yesterday was that my karate campadres all achieved their gradings in Florida over the weekend. My bro and Dazza both got 3rd Dan and Frazer went to 4th. Yay for the Yoshukai boys! Hope they're not too hungover...

Oh god, look at me - yapping away about the tennis with only an afterthought to the real man's sport of beating the crap out of people. I've been in Sydney only a couple of months and already the metrosexual disease is setting in...

No comments: