Thursday, April 03, 2008

siren call

So I've been obsessing over the lyrics of an early 80s cover of an early 70s song. Hey, I work for the public service - you have to find your own fun.

Song to the Siren by This Mortal Coil from 1984 is a cover of a Tim Buckley song and, like many notable covers, has become the definitive version. It has haunted me since I first heard it and sparked a lengthy and passionate love of Cocteau Twins and especially Elizabeth Fraser's vocals/lyrics/whatever you call them.

Ahhh.. crap. There I was writing and googling about dissecting the song's lyrics and meaning and stuff and this guy goes and completely blows me out of the water. Two and a half years ago too.

The internet sucks - it lets you know rather too quickly just how unoriginal you really are.

Bum.

No comments: